Leading – edge. Intuitive – interface. Plug – and play. Thought – leadership. It’s that time of the year. The quiet period between RSA/SC Magazine Awards US and Interop – Las Vegas/SC Magazine Awards UK, when you’ll often find internet security vendors look at their crystal balls and make their threat predictions for 2012. M86 Security has just released their nine page Security Predictions 2012. Definitely worth saving along with other security vendor predictions for 2012. Save them in a folder, and then peruse at the end of the year. Alternatively, place bets with your IT and security buds as to which vendor will be the most accurate in 2012. These prediction pieces and surveys help the vendors to demonstrate thought leadership in the security space. Some UK sites are irreverent when the survey pieces come out. Not mentioning by name, but think vulture head.
Below are links to some other security predictions for 2012 from SANS, Security Week, WatchGuard, Websense, McAfee, Trend Micro, and Sophos.
M86 Security predictions for 2012 are:
- Targeted Attacks Grow More Damaging and Complex
- Illicit Social Media Scams Escalate
- Mobile Malware Menaces Users and Organizations
- Third-party Software Exploits Gain Traction
- Exploit Kits and Malware Reuse Proliferate
- Compromised Websites Serving Malicious Content Accelerates
- Botnet Disruption Attempts Short-lived
- Spam Rebounds to Distribute Damaging Malware
- Major Sporting Events Draw Major Cyber Attacks
- Attacks on Cloud Services Inevitable
Light reading for now and the end of the year. As an aside The SC Magazine Awards UK will be on April 24. Finalists are at