On an overall basis, AV-Comparatives, gave eight company's products their Top Rated designation. In alphabetical order, these were Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, BullGuard, ESET, F-Secure, G DATA, and Kaspersky. Congratulations to these companies!
- Product of the Year – Bitdefender (G Data and Kaspersky, were awarded Bronze and Silver)
- File Detection – Avira
- Whole-Product “Real-World” Dynamic Protection - BitDefender (a nice interactive report)
- Proactive (Heuristic) Detection/Protection - A tie. BitDefender and Kaspersky
- False Positive – Microsoft
- Overall Performance (Low System Impact) – Webroot
- Anti-Phishing Protection – BitDefender
- Malware Removal – A tie, BitDefender and Kaspersky
The report also has a great link that lets you select a year and view a one page report listing all vendors and how many stars they received for each test they were in. The most stars a vendor could receive on a single test was three. They could also receive two, one, and tested. A perfect score for the year – twenty seven. BitDefender received twenty six in 2012.
- Avast – 22 stars
- Avira – 22 stars (yes, a tie)
- Panda - 19 stars
- AVG Technologies – 14 stars
- PC Tools – 13 stars